By: Daniel Wilder from Philadelphia on 02/21/2011
Pease note any modifications to your easel may void your warranty.
Even though I really enjoy my Santa Fe II easel, I am 6' tall and the tray attached to the winch does not travel high enough, so I can finish the bottom of a painting while standing up. To correct this minor glitch,
1) Remove the sliding frame (shaped like an upside down with four black cross-shaped nuts.
2) Make a sketch of how the rope goes through the pulleys, eye lags and attaches to the winch.
3) Remove the rope from the pulleys, single eye lag, and winch.
4) Remove the two eye lags with pulleys and the single eye lag from the center brace. (do not remove eye lag and pulley from sliding tray).
5) Stand the frame on end so it looks like a square shaped .
6) Drill three holes in the bottom of the cross brace (make sure the holes are not larger than the eye lags), one in the center, one from the left side, the same on the right side.
7) Attach one eye lag with pulley on the left side; attach one eye lag with pulley in the center, and a single eye lag on the right side.
8) To replace the rope you will need a new rope at least 6 feet longer than the original.
9). The tray with eye lag and pulley should be down at the base of the easel. Now replace the new rope following your sketch.
10) The tray should now travel at least 6 feet high.